Masters Program Online
• The FPMT Masters Program 2008 On-line Program has been designed to provide an advanced program of Buddhist Studies of Sutra and Tantra according to the Tibetan Gelug tradition of Lama Tzong Khapa to those people who are unable to attend the full-time residential program offered at Istituto Lama Tzong Khapa, Pomaia (Pisa), Italy. The on-line program runs parallel to the residential program and is offered in both English and Italian.
• The Masters Program consists of five subjects studied over a six-year period. The first subject, Ornament (Abhisamayalamkara) begins in January 2008, the second subject Middle Way (Madhyamakavatara) in October 2009, the third subject Treasury (Abhidharmakosha) in September 2011, and the fourth and fifth subjects, Secret Mantra and Guhyasamaja Tantra in April 2012. New students are accepted into the program at the beginning of each subject.
• The Masters Program On-line - the modern equivalent of a home study or correspondence course - avails of the possibilities offered by Moodle, an open-source program especially designed for distance learning programs.
• On-line students are supported in their studies by a qualified teaching assistant, a graduate of the Masters Program 1998.
• Students have access via internet to:
- audio recordings of daily teachings with the resident teacher
- video recordings of weekly review classes with the teaching assistant
- all the texts and study materials available to the residential students
- a restricted-access forum and chat supervised by the teaching assistant
- on-line quizzes and exams
• Students who successfully complete the requirements for the individual subjects will be issued a Home Study Completion Card by the FPMT Education Department
• Students who successfully complete all five subjects, pass the final comprehensive exam, and complete a final one-month retreat will qualify to receive the FPMT Masters Certificate in Home Studies
• Applications for admission to the Masters Program On-line can be submitted up to two weeks prior to the beginning of each new subject
•People who are unable to study the subjects in 'real-time', that is, in parallel with the residential program, should note that all study materials are made available for download at the end of each subject (however, at this time a teaching assistant is no longer available to provide support nor is it possible to qualify for certification)
For more information about the Masters Program, please contact:
Istituto Lama Tzong Khapa
Via Poggiberna 15
office telephone: (+39)050-685009, ext. 1
To apply for the Masters Program Online.