According to Buddhist teachings, the practice of ethics is one of the three principle forms of training that Buddhists engage in; the other two being meditation and wisdom. Ethical precepts (vows) guide a practitioner in examining cause and effect (karma), as well as how the renunciation, patience, and honesty required of this practice illuminate the teachings.
The five precepts are:
- Abstain from killing living beings;
- Abstain from taking that which is not given;
- Abstain from sexual misconduct;
- Abstain from telling lies;
- Abstain from alcohol. (Alternate translation: Abstain from all intoxicants.)
As one reflects upon the precepts, layers of meaning are illuminated in each vow. Of great importance in taking precepts is the understanding that it is an individual commitment; using the precepts to judge another’s behavior is utterly counter-productive.
Our kitchen serves vegetarian traditional Italian dishes lunch (pasta or rice, flans, salad, roasted vegetables and homemade deserts) and homemade soups for evening meals. Breakfast includes rye bread, fresh yoghurt, honey, tea, coffee, cereals, oatmeal and fruit. All meals are served as self-service buffet in the main kitchen.
Extras that you will need during your stay include:
- your personal toiletries including soap and shampoo
- a laptop computer for internet access
- an alarm clock
- an FM radio (weekend courses with the resident Tibetan teachers are generally translated into English over FM radio)
Tracks and paths on the Institute grounds do not always have their own lighting:
- bring a good torch for finding your way to your room at night
- trainers and/or soft-soled shoes good for walking on rugged terrain.
The winters in Tuscany can be cold:
- bring extra layers
- thermal underwear
- a warm hat
- a good wind and water proof coat
- shoes that can manage mud
The summers in Tuscany are hot:
- bring light cotton clothing
- mosquito repellant
- sun cream
- a summer hat
We welcome school groups (maximum per group of 15 per group including teaching staff) with a guided tour and meditation in Italian from Sept-June. For more information please contact our Spiritual Program Coordinator
School and group visits can be arranged for a maximum of 50 people per day on:
- Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- from 9.30 to 12.00
- To make a reservation
Please contact our secretary with the following information:
- Age age of the people in the group
- Wheel Chair any disabilities or specific physical restrictions of anyone in the group (we have a disabled chair lift for the stairs to the main meditation hall)
- Mealslunch bookings
Please note: cancellation of the visit must be at least 10 days before the visit is set to take place.