We are pleased to announce that on September 18 and 19, 2021 there will be held at Istituto Lama Tzong Khapa the Mind Science Academy Conference entitled Reality Is Not What It Appears: A Joint Investigation between East and West. .
This event is organized by Istituto Lama Tzong Khapa in collaboration with the University of Pisa, under the patronage of the Italian Buddhist Union and the Region of Tuscany. During the conference, representatives of the Gaden Phodrang Foundation of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama will speak via live streaming.
Mind Science Academy (MSA) is a project initiated by Istituto Lama Tzong Khapa at the behest of His Holiness the Dalai Lama during his visit to Pomaia in 2014. MSA aims to promote a multidisciplinary approach to the study of the mind and the emotions by bringing together the methods, tools and knowledge from various Western scientific disciplines (biophysics, neuroscience, psychology, psychophysiology, philosophy of mind, and so on) and the enormous wealth of wisdom accumulated over more than 2,500 years in the Buddhist tradition through first-person analysis of the mind and its processes by means of introspection, concentration, meditation and mindfulness.
MSA seeks to promote true inner peace in the world by exploring and sharing knowledge of the mind and emotions with the wider public, using opportunities for open dialogue and exchange between the Buddhist sciences of mind and the various disciplines of Western academia.
Reality is not as it appears. A joint investigation between East and West.
18 – 19 September 2021
Speakers: Michel Bitbol (emeritus researcher at CNRS/Ecole Normale Supérieure), Ven. Olivier Rossi (Sangha Onlus, FPMT), Prof. Angelo Gemignani (University of Pisa), Prof. Bruno Neri (University of Pisa), Fabrizio Pallotti (Italian translator of His Holiness the Dalai Lama).
Moderator: Filippo Scianna (President of the Italian Buddhist Union)
SATURDAY 18 September 2021
from 10:00 AM to 12:45 PM
- 10:00 – 10:30: AM Introduction to the Mind Science Academy by Filippo Scianna
- 10.30 – 10.45: AM Speaker in live streaming Tenzin Lodoe (Board of Directors) of the Gaden Phodrang Foundation of His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama
- 10:45 – 11.00 AM Video contribution of Richard Gere at the event
- 11.00- 11.30AM: Presentation of the book Science and Philosophy in the Indian Buddhist Classics – The Material World with Fabrizio Pallotti, translator and interpreter in Italian of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
- 11:30 – 11:45 AM: Pause
- 11:45 AM – 12:45 PM: Prof. Bruno Neri, Presentation of the research carried out at Sera Jey Monastery on the effects of meditation on the brain level
from 2:30 to 7:00 PM
- 3:00 – 3:45 PM: Prof. Angelo Gemignani – To be or not to be, that is the connectome.
- 3:45 – 4:30 PM: Ven. Olivier Rossi – Appearance and reality
- 4:30 – 4:45 PM: Pause
- 4:45 – 6:00 PM: Prof. Michel Bitbol – We Can learn to see appearance as reality?
- 6:00 – 7:00 PM: Speaker comparison
SUNDAY 19 September 2021
- 9:30 – 9:35: AM Presentation Roundtable speakers
- 9:35 – 9:45 AM: Video projections of Geshe Tashi Tsering, abbot of Sera Mey Monastery, Bylakuppe, India
- 10:00 – 11:00 AM: “Start of work” with Michel Bitbol, ven. Olivier Rossi, Angelo Gemignani, Bruno Neri, Giulia Moiraghi, Franco Giorgi. Modera Filippo Scianna
- 11:00 – 11:15: AM Pause
- 11:40 AM – 13:00 PM: Questions and Answers
Please note that the program may be subject to change.
🎧 The conference will be held in Italian language with simultaneous translation in English.
To listen to the English translation in the hall it is necessary to have an FM radio and earphones (also available at the ILTK shop).
How to participate online
The event will be broadcast online, in live streaming, through the Zoom channel of the Institute. You can pre-register from the link below. Entering your details will open a page with a personal link to access the event:
Residential event registration closed.
(Entrance fee and mandatory registration through the form below. We remind you that for in-person participation it is necessary to present the green pass at the reception upon arrival).